Thursday 2 July 2009

Ode To Brighton

I know a proper Blog post has been long over due......................I'm a waste man I know.

But because I have just recently graduated I feel the best way for me to truly reflect on my time in Uni is through a blog post.

Anyway, while I was still preparing for exams me and a couple of the mandem were walking to the library which was the norm at that time. A friend asked me because I was finishing soon what I would leave Uni with.........................."What just a degree?" he chuckled. Now this got me thinking and after a few seconds I replied that "A degree will probably be the least important thing I leave with." And this is the reason why:


When I first arrived at the University of Brighton at the tender age of 18 I was arrogant, full of myself, I always thought I was right and stubborn and everything else you would think a young man as my self would have acted like.


(I know some of you will be making the dead joke "but your still like that though")

I think the most important thing I will take form my Uni experience was the time it allowed me to grow. I had a lot of issues and insecurities back then which I was not ready to deal with because I was a child. Not physically but emotionally. But through the tough challenges and the forced times of solitude I faced during this time I finally became a man. I came to learn that I had to start compromising and not just believe that no matter the situation I was always right. I learnt to care about people and not just give up on various types of bonds like they meant nothing. I learnt not to hold grudges and just move on with life. I learnt a lot, I learnt the necessary life and social skills needed to go far in this life.

There were also the amazing people and Friends I met while in Brighton. I honestly have made some true life long friends. Have to show love to Da Mandem who have given me too many joke memories.

I met alot of interesting females- some of dem just straight up crazy - but it was all jokes I suppose. I formed strong attachments with a few females in particular that I never ever thought I would be able to form.

And just all the random people I met that introduced me to the wide array of people there are in this world.

Coming to Brighton allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and find the true me. I feel that being in Endz forces someone to act a particular way which in most cases is detrimental to the person. It was only by coming to Brighton and just being free and being allowed to experiment and find the true me that I can sit here and truly say that I am an adult.

It would be long to detail all of my experiences I had over the last 3 years, just cos there are so many, but I feel so grateful for them cos they have truly made me a better person.

And as I stand at the door of my future, ready to venture out into the real world I feel safe knowing that all the experiences, trials, tribulations and friends have helped and taught me that I can deal with anything that may come my way.

Brighton was truly my home for the last 3 years and I will never forget the time I had or the people I met. I will miss the freedom, my friends all being in one place, the late nights, the laughs, the bad times, the broke times, the group excurisons, the sunsets, the walk up the moutain, the crazy times, the widdecombe houseparties and the arguments. I'll miss it all.........................................


This is my Ode to Birghton xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment