Friday 11 June 2010

Multi-Talented? Feel A Little Lost Because Of It? Then Read This...



One of the things I love about the Internet is the pure randomness of it. You can be carelessly roaming around the Internet and stumble across a gold nugget. I have found one such nugget.

First off, read this article by the supremely talented Lola Adesioye:

Being free, being me: the dilemma of being multi-talented


Amazing right?

If you are like me, multi-talented and have been feeling kind of 'cursed' recently then this is exactly what we both needed to pick us up.

I often get infuriated when people ask me what field of work I want to go into and I have to reply "I don't know" often to be treated as some lazy bum. I regularly wish I was one of those kids who knew exactly what they wanted to be when they grew up and had spent every subsequent day working towards it. Or to be one of those people who had a singular amazing talent which directed them to their future career. Unfortunately that has never been me. Being from a Nigerian household and being the "stubborn goat" (as my mum says) that I am the mantle of 'Doctor' or 'Lawyer' never really excited. Even though it is almost every Nigerian parent's dream that their offspring goes into one of these two professions. I was determined not to conform. Thankfully, I have a very understanding mum who never pressured me into choosing a career path but also taught me to never rest on my laurels and to work hard and excel at everything I do.

I guess you can say I am "talented" at many things and therefore it should be easy for me to choose from one of these to forge a suitable career out of. But trust me, it just makes it that more difficult.

But this article has inspired me to just do me, and be great in everything I do and to be comfortable with my multi talented splendour.

I suggest you do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Mikez - Thanks for linking to my article. I'm glad it inspired you! I think we are starting to move out of the age where you are defined by a singular profession/job title to one where you can have a common thread/value that runs across many areas... BE YOU. All the best, Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for the words of wisdom

    ReplyDelete